Pokemon GO with new update brings a lot of changes to the Gym System. This Gym rework have made Gyms more competitive, interactive and engaging.
Items drops from Gyms
Gyms now also act as PokeStops, as you can Spin the Gym Photo Disc to acquire items. Items drop number and type are the same as PokeStop drops, so its like a PokeStop inside a Gym. This make visiting a Gym more far more lucrative than to hang around PokeStops. Plus Gym Spins will count towards your N-th day streak!
No more prestige system in Gyms
Prestige system around which Gyms where based was never accepted by all the players. Naintic tweaked it few times but players discontent for the Prestige system remained. Gyms are no longer based around Prestige. Here’s what new:
- Number of Slots have been changed from 10 to 6 permanent slots.
- Pokemon inside the Gym must be unique, for example, only one Blissey can be assigned to a gym at a time.
- Pokemon inside the Gym are sorted in the order they were placed inside the Gym, not sorted by Combat Power.
Coin System change
Niantic confirmed the following: a Pokemon will earn PokeCoins based on how long it defends a Gym. Once its motivation meter is empty and it’s defeated in battle, it will return to its Trainer and come back with PokeCoins.
You can redeem a maximum bonus of 50 PokeCoins per day. If you have more than one Pokemon return from Gyms in a single day, the maximum bonus for the day is still limited to 50 PokeCoins.
- Say you hold a gym for over 24 hours. That would be two days worth of coins meaning you should get 100 coins instead of 50, right? Nope, you still will receive 50 coins once your Pokemon is returned. That would be the worst of this new coin system though, wouldn’t it be?
- You get a hard cap of 50 coins per day, not per gym. If you have 5 Pokemon in gyms spread throughout your area. Then someone or different people take out all of your Pokemon that have defended for 24 hours or more. You will only get 50 coins, meaning it’s pretty worthless to have defended the other gyms.
Gym motivation system
New Gym UI
Pokemon inside the gym will get fatigued over time and lose motivation, making their Combat Power lower as their motivation goes down. When a Pokemon is placed in a Gym, a motivation meter will be displayed, indicating how high or love it’s motivation is.
Pokemon lose motivation over time and by losing battles, and regain motivation by eating Berries. You can feed only your Team’s Pokemon.
If a Pokémon loses all motivation, it will leave the Gym and return to its Trainer the next time it loses a battle, so you’ll want to keep your team’s Pokémon motivated by giving them Berries frequently!
New Gym UI Video
Not to forget, Gyms now feature a sleek new UI showing off Niantic’s technical proves and how much the game has improved over the last 12 months.
Other Helpful guides.
- Raid Boss
- Raid Pass
- Raid Egg
- Premier Ball
- Type Effectiveness
- Rare Candy
- Golden Razz Berry
- Legendary Raid Battles
- Gym Badges
- Technical Machines (TMs)