With Niantic confirming the details for this years Easter Event, we created a simple and quick guide on how to maximise the benefits of this event, with special focus on Experience Gain and preparing for the upcoming Gym rework.
If you’re unfamiliar with the entire event, you can read more here. Here’s the event summary:
- Lasts for 7 days, starting April 13 through April 20 2017
- Double XP, more Candy from Egg Hatches, discounted Lucky Egg (50%)
- 2 KM Eggs can hatch a wider variety (ultra rare hatches)(new Easter event hatch list)
This guide will be focused on two things: getting maximum XP during the event and stocking up on Rare Candy for powering up Battle wiki entries.
Understanding XP gains during the Eggstravaganza
During the Eggstravaganza, every action that yields XP will yield double XP. In other words, Niantic will activate a “global Lucky Egg” during the event.
Further, any additional XP gain buffs stack with this one, meaning you will gain four (4) times the normal amount of XP with Lucky Egg active during the Eggstravaganza event.
With that in mind, we can interpolate the best strategy for gaining maximum experience during the event.
- Stock up on Incubators, make sure you have 9 Eggs in incubators
- Walk until majority of your Eggs is close to hatch
- Stop and wait for the event to start (01:00 P.M PDT April 13)
- Catch as many leveling Pokémon as possible
After the Eggstravaganza starts
- Acquire 1 Lucky Egg and activate it
- Pop your “close-to-hatch” eggs and make sure you walk on a route that has many PokéStops
- Walk and Evolve, ignoring wild Pokémon but replenishing your Egg pool
- Rinse and repeat, buy new Incubators in the process
- If you run out of Evolution material, it’s time to take a break and restock.
The following table illustrates the XP gains during the event:
Event + Lucky Egg
|Catch a Pokémon||100||200||400|
Interestingly, this chart implies that all Eggs are relevant for gaining experience fast during the event. You may want to hold on to your existing Eggs and bring them as close to hatching as possible.
The rationale behind our strategy guide is simple:
- a single Evolution with Lucky Egg yields more XP (2000) than a successful Curved Excellent Throw (840). In other words, don’t catch while you hatch
- with popping pre-event Eggs early, you maximise the chance to obtain new rare hatches during the event
- Lucky Egg usage should be maximised with Chain Evolutions while walking
Eggstravaganza Candy Guide
Make sure you save your candies for rare and ultra rare Pokémon, especially the ones that are relevant for the meta. You can check the meta relevant Pokémon in our Battle Wiki and Egg rarities in our Egg Chart.