New update for Pokemon Go has added more flying and dragon type Pokemon discovered in the Hoenn region for a limited time only.
New Legendary Rayquaza has also been added as a Tier 5 Raid boss.
Here is the list of new Pokemon
New Dragon & Flying Pokemon
- Castform — heavily tied to the weather. Four forms were recently discovered in network traffic: Normal, Sunny, Rainy, Snowy
- Taillow and Swellow — basically Spearow and Farrow of Gen III
- Wingull and Pelipper — a family of sea birds with WATER and typing.
- Surskit and Masquerain — an interesting family of flying bugs, whose typing and moves make them useful low budget GRASS counters. Could be useful in Gym offense and lower-tier raids.
- Swablu and Altaria — Altaria is one of the biggest disappointments in Gen III, with merely 1868 Max CP and mediocre movepool
- Tropius — a Flying Grass Pokémon that has access to Leaf Blade and no particular role in the meta. Potential region exclusive, be on the lookout.
- Volbeat and Illumise — weak Bug-types with 100% gender split. Volbeat is male, Illumise female counterpart.
- Salamence, Shelgon, and Bagon — DRAGON, and typed Pokémon family that fits just under Dragonite in terms of performance. You should treat them as you would treat a Hariyama next to a Machamp.
- Metagross, Metang, and Beldum — the iconic pseudo-legendary Generation III family, the Tyranitar of Generation III. On release, Metagross will be the strongest Steel and one of the strongest Psychic types in-game. It’s a must catch, don’t skip on anyone in this family line. Potential shiny.
- Chimecho — an average Psychic-type. Potential regional.
Odd ones out
The following Pokémon are not Flying or Dragon types and their release is questionable:
- Kecleon — a color-changing chameleon that can basically become invisible
- Spinda — Hypno bear
- Clamperl, Huntail, and Gorebyss — probably a random evolution. No Deepsea item is in the APK if they appear tomorrow, the evolution will be randomized.
- Nincada, Ninjask, and Shedinja — Nincada is an interesting catch as when it evolves, it sheds its skin and two Pokémon are created: Ninjask and Shedinja. Nothing meta-changing, but an interesting twist on the general evolution mechanism.