Datamine of 0.87.5 APK hinted at a new Augmented Reality mode with advanced catch mechanics.
AR Mode details:
- Awareness, proximity, and movement
- Nanab Berries during the encounter
- AR Plus encounter Bonuses
AR Plus Mode?
AR Plus is a new way to catch a Pokemon in Pokemon Go, you can sneak up and follow the movements of the Pokemon in the real world. It uses AR Kit on iOS and AR Core on Android.
- Awareness – indicates how aware a Pokemon is of your presence. Less is better.
- Proximity – the closer you get to a Pokemon, the likely it is you will scare it and it will flee.
- Jumping – Pokemon can jump from bushes, jump away from you and jump away a certain distance
So you have to approach Pokemon without them getting aware, plus the thresholds can’t be broken during the encounter.
- “Look around an open area with your device until it recognizes a flat surface.”
- “Tap the tall grass to find a Pokémon. “
- “Approach the Pokémon slowly. You’ll get bonus rewards if you catch it!”
AR Plus thresholds
All the AR Plus thresholds found.
- Close proximity threshold – do not get too close to the Pokemon you’re pursuing
- Awareness Flee threshold – the Pokemon will flee if its awareness goes over a particular level.
- Low awareness, high awareness and awareness penalty thresholds – likely relate to increasing/lowering the difficulty of capturing the Pokemon during the AR Plus encounter
- Instant frighten threshold – as soon as this is reached, all of your AR Plus encounter attempts are used and the Pokemon is gone
- Look at player awareness threshold – you can’t be seen directly for too long, otherwise, the Pokemon flees
- Proximity approach per-second threshold – if you close on the Pokemon faster than an allowed limit during the encounter, the Pokemon you’re pursuing flees
- Turn speed degree per-second threshold – you are not allowed to turn your phone faster than fixed number of degrees per second