Team Go Rocket battles can be quite difficult and tricky, so you need to have a team that has good counters to them. You can know what kind of Pokemon the Grunt will have from their dialogue.
Team Go Rocket randomly and independently selects one Pokemon from each of the lists below to build a team, which are sent in the same order.
Pokemon in Green Box has a chance of being captured after the battle.
- Grunts never use their Protect Sheild but leaders will always try to use their Protect Shields.
- Pokemon dropped by leaders can be shiny.
The Team Go Rocket grunts dialogue indicates the strongest Pokemon, not the one you can catch.
Keep your eye in these dialogues:
- NORMAL – Normal doesn’t mean weak.
- FIGHTING – This buff physique isn’t just for show!
- GROUND – You’ll be defeated into the ground!
- FLYING – My bird Pokémon wants to battle with you!
- POISON – Coiled and ready to strike!
- ROCK – Let’s rock and roll!
- BUG – Go, my super bug Pokémon!
- FIRE – Do you know how hot Pokémon fire breath can get?
- WATER – These waters are treacherous!
- GRASS – Don’t tangle with us!
- ELECTRIC – Get ready to be shocked!
- GHOST – Ke…ke…ke…ke…ke…ke!
- PSYCHIC – Are you scared of physics that use unseen power?
- DRAGON – ROAR! … How’d that sound?
- Don’t bother, I’ve already won.
- Get ready to be defeated!
- Winning is for the winners.
- DARK – Wherever is a light, there is also shadow.
- FAIRY – Check out my cute Pokémon!
- ICE – You’re gonna be frozen in your tracks.
- STEEL – You’re no match for my iron will!
|Bug||Charizard, Moltres, Entei, Rampardos|
|Dragon||Gardevoir, Metagross, Togekiss, Dialga|
|Normal||Machamp, Tyranitar, Metagross, Dialga|
|Fire||Gyarados, Tyranitar, Swampert, Kyogre|
|Water||Venusaur, Raikou, Roserade, Palkia|
|Grass||Charizard, Moltres, Mewtwo, Rayquaza|
|Poison||Mewtwo, Tyranitar, Groudon, Garchomp|
|Ground||Gyarados, Sceptile, Swampert, Kyogre|
|Flying||Raikou, Tyranitar, Magnezone, Dialga|
|Psychic||Mewtwo, Scizor, Tyranitar, Metagross|
You can find the detailed guide here.
Rocket Leader Cliff
|Meowth, Snorlax, and Tyranitar||Flygon, Sandslash, and Torterra||Sandslash, Infernape, and Tyranitar|
|Counter||Lock On||Mud Shot|
|Power Up Punch||Blizzard||Hydro Cannon|
|Shadow Ball||Focus Blast||Earthquake|
Rocket Leader Sierra
|Sneasel, Lapras and Hypno / Alakazam (Shadow Ball)||Gardevoir, Lapras, Hypno, and Alakazam||Hypno, Sableye, Houndoom, and Alakazam|
|Power Up Punch||Rock Slide||Crunch|
|Shadow Ball||Flash Cannon||Stone Edge|
Rocket Leader Arlo
|Scyther, Gyarados, Crobat, and Dragonite||Crobat and Dragonite (Ice Beam)||Magnezone and Scizor|
|Thunder Shock||Psycho Cut||Counter|
|Rock Slide||Psytrike||Blaze Kick|
|ThunderBolt||Ice Beam||Focus Blast|